SNAG produces the Professional Development Seminar every year during the annual conference. The Seminar delivers three hours of concrete information that will change the way you approach your work and the way you do business.
Professional Development Seminar 2012
Was held May 26, 2012 during the SNAG conference.
When It Absolutely, Positively Has to Be There: The Ins and Outs of Shipping
Shipping artwork from point A to point B should be a pretty straight-forward proposition, but if you have ever shipped a fragile, valuable, large or small object, you know that getting it there can sometimes be like trying to sift through a bucket of eels. There are many shippers, many methods and finding the right answers can be slippery work.
Our slate of presenters included: Leila Hamdan, the Museum Registrar for the National Ornamental Metals Museum; Kim Cridler, Assistant Professor of Art and large scale maker; Harriete Estel Berman, PDS Committee Member and Maker; and a presentation by Jewelers Mutual.
- tales from the trenches: shipping horror stories
- proper packing: one-of-a-kind to production, box to crate
- box building: creating a custom fit
- brown truck or white truck: choosing the best shipper
- over night to overseas: types of shipping
- customs and other nightmares
- shipping and handling: who and when to charge
- collecting for damage or theft: will they pay?
- wholesale or retail: establishing value for insurance
- things you never thought of: tips from the pros
Shipping is the thread that connects our studios to the world.
Send your questions to Harriete Estel Berman.