Compartments, enclosures, hidden treasures. Explore the 2018 Halstead Design challenge theme of Hidden by playing with the ideas of secrecy and mystery! Show us your best mechanisms, fabrication techniques and creative use of a found object – all brought to life as a brooch! And to make it more interesting: incorporate a surprising element for the viewer to discover.
Stretch your creativity with this inspiring challenge and share your progress online with your fellow community of makers. Help raise funds for SNAG while having fun!
This is a fundraiser for SNAG. Proceeds from kit sales and a percentage of work sold benefits SNAG.
2018 Exhibition Venue & Date
During the SNAG conference May 23-26, 2018
2018 Halstead Design Challenge Kit
Receive a 44-piece kit of sterling silver, copper, and brass supplies to get you started. Your kit includes sheet metal, chain segments, wire, metal blanks, and faceted beads. Create a brooch or convertible pendant under 4” x 4” x 1”. Only 200 Halstead Challenge kits were available. We are now sold out.
Kits are transferable. If artists cannot use their kits and there is still a reasonable amount of time before the deadline (February 15, 2018), feel free to send your kit to a fellow maker and email us who that person is.
DESIGN KITS ARE NOW SOLD OUT
(Question about an order you placed? Email email@example.com)
Shipping within USA: $43.50
Shipping to locations outside the USA: $83.50
For outside the USA please note:
● Kits are shipped out internationally with a commercial invoice. We cannot falsify declarations.
● You are responsible for any duties or tariffs from your home country on kit materials. You cannot refuse to pay duties once a package is in transit. Please find out your obligations before ordering a kit.
● You will be responsible for shipping fees, insurance and any import duties to send your brooch to the exhibition if it is included in the juried exhibition. Please also plan for additional transit and clearance time ahead of the deadline.
If you have any questions about the kit, please inquire via email prior to sending in fees.
Exhibition (2 parts)
(1) Enter up to 3 high resolution images and a YouTube or Vimeo video link showing the hidden feature of your finished brooch for a chance to win prizes and an exhibition spot at the upcoming 2018 SNAG conference in Portland, Oregon. Please use a horizontal format for your video.
(2) After the conference, all submitted work will be featured in an online sale and exhibition on SNAG’s website. To be included in the online exhibition, images must meet quality specifications. (See photo submission guidelines)
Prize winners will be announced at the exhibition opening in Portland, Oregon!
Top 3 Winners:
– Cash prizes ($750 for 1st place, $500 for 2nd place, $250 for 3rd place)
– Halstead features artists in video blogs and print publications.
Top 3 Runners-up:
– Halstead gift receipts ($100 ea. runner-up)
– 1 year free membership to SNAG (2 awarded)
– Free ¼ page ad in Metalsmith magazine (1 awarded)
This design challenge is a fundraiser for SNAG. Proceeds from kit sales and 25% of work sold at retail price will benefit SNAG. All submissions must be for sale.
1. Create one brooch (or a convertible pendant) from the Halstead Design Challenge kit utilizing as many components as possible (minimum 50% of kit items should be used in final work).
2. Add one clearly visible found object component into your brooch.
3. Size restrictions: Maximum: 4 x 4 x 1 inches and must fit in a USPS MEDIUM Flat Rate Box, or smaller, when your item is double boxed. Your package has to withstand a 30-foot drop during shipping.
4. Retail price of finished items must be between $249 – $500 (higher priced work will not be considered for exhibition).
5. The submission form requests to clearly state who the copyright holder of your image and video is. We cannot admit work without such a statement.
6. Send 3 high res images (1 full view front, 1 full view back, 1 detail shot) of finished work on a plain white background (preferred) and a link to YouTube or Vimeo of a maximum 20 second video of any hidden features. Partially finished work or sketches will not be considered. (See photo submission guidelines)
This exhibition is an open call to metals and/or jewelry artists. SNAG membership is not required but always encouraged. Artists residing outside of the USA are eligible to participate but need to be aware of the specific shipping and custom requirements this entails when the kit is sent to them as well as for any artwork that may have to be shipped into the USA for exhibition purposes.
See the above kit price information. There are no additional fees when submitting images of final work for jurying. The kit fee is the entry fee.
● Finished work is owned by the artist until sold.
● All work submitted must be for sale through the time of exhibition, including the online exhibition component.
● Unsold pieces should be picked up by the artist or a designated person immediately after the Portland exhibition. In case the artist is not present at the conference the artwork will be returned in its original package at Halstead Design Challenge expense provided the package meets maximum size specifications (USPS MEDIUM Flat Rate Box) and the original packaging materials are suitable for reuse. Packages exceeding maximum size will be returned at artist’s expense.
● In case of a sale during the exhibition cycle (brick and mortar and online segments) the following split of proceeds applies:
75% of retail price goes to the artist.
25% of retail price goes to SNAG.
● All administration of sales will be handled by SNAG.
Shipping and Insurance
Double box your artwork and use USPS MEDIUM Flat Rate Box as the outer container. Plan ahead and make sure your design concept can fit in the inner box!
Artist is responsible for cost of shipping and insurance to exhibition venue. Deadline for arrival of shipment at a specified venue on or before May 10, 2018. A specific shipping address will be sent to all accepted artists.
Artwork is insured at 50% of retail price while on venue premises and during return shipment.
Acceptance into the exhibition constitutes a contractual agreement between the artist and the exhibition venue. A formal contract will be sent to exhibiting artists together with a condition report form and other information relating to the shipment of the work.
Kits were available starting October 9, 2017. First come first served. Only 200 kits available! Kits are now sold out.
Artist Notification of exhibition participation is April 15, 2018.
Prize winners will be announced at exhibition opening during the SNAG conference in Portland, Oregon, May 23-26, 2018. More details to come. Please plan to attend.
Questions? Contact Hilary Halstead Scott & Brigitte Martin at firstname.lastname@example.org
The jurying process ensures that the work submitted is of the highest quality and follows the curatorial mission outlined in the proposal. Craftsmanship, dedication to the concept of the show, diversity, intrigue, and interpretation of the call will be considered.
Hilary Halstead Scott
Scott is the President of Halstead, a wholesale supplier of jewelry chain and materials that was established in 1973. The family owned and operated firm supplies thousands of jewelry artists around the globe. Scott is passionate about helping small jewelry businesses and entrepreneurs. To that end, she founded the Halstead Grant in 2005. The Halstead Grant is a business development program that awards start-up cash and recognition to an emerging jewelry artist each year. The rigorous application process is designed to encourage sound business practices in the jewelry industry. Scott has an MBA and a Masters in International Management. She worked in Madrid, Spain prior to returning to the family business. She is an active member of SNAG and the Women Presidents Organization.
Jim Bové is a practicing artist, educator and former board member of SNAG. He has organized and curated several international exhibitions and lectures between the United States and Japan, including the cross-cultural exchange, Metalsmiths Linking. He recently completed an artist residency in Portugal where he explored landscape inspired forms. Jim’s artwork was selected for Metalsmith magazine’s Exhibition in Print, ‘Fresh’. His artwork has been featured in several books, Humor in Craft, 500 Art Necklaces, On Body and Soul: Contemporary Armor to Amulets and most recently in Cast. His artwork resides in collections in the United States, Japan and was awarded Honorable Mention in the Cheongju Craft Biennale, South Korea and was accepted into Schmuck as well as being exhibited in the Taiwan International Metals Crafts Competition.
Martin created the online social network CRAFTHAUS in 2008 to foster camaraderie and professional exchange within the international craft community. As the site’s editor she connects the membership with the larger craft world, while offering a place to show work and discuss thoughts and ideas about craft. Martin founded a Craft Think Tank in 2011 and continues to organize the annual convenings in cooperation with the American Craft Council. Martin published Humor in Craft, which won the FINALIST award at the 2012 USA Best Book Awards and a Gold Medal at the Independent Publisher Book Awards in 2013. Martin curates and juries exhibitions nationally and she is a regularly contributing writer for American Craft Magazine. Martin is president of SNAG and a public speaker on topics of social networking, online community, artist development and art entrepreneurship.
Questions? Contact Hilary Halstead Scott & Brigitte Martin at email@example.com
See the 2017 Halstead Design Challenge brooches in our 2017 online exhibition and sale>>>