The Maker Pages of the Society of North American Goldsmiths serve as a professional marketplace for the membership, to extend your network even further.
Here members of SNAG will present images of their artwork, post a biography, artist statement or other information about your work, including awards received, where to find more of your work, and where to purchase pieces. In addition, the Maker Pages will serve as a research tool for other artists, employers, buyers, gallerists, curators, editors, industry professionals, academics, and as a resource for the general public.
With this in mind, it is essential that only professional quality images are uploaded to the service. SNAG will be actively promoting these pages people both inside and outside of our field, and the quality of images will immediately broadcast the quality of work to be found here. In regards to photography, lighting, focus, unobtrusive backgrounds, and appropriate subject matter are of critical importance. The site will be monitored for determining which images should be included or removed.
By uploading images you understand that you are agreeing to abide by SNAG’s standards of professionalism and the above rules. If you upload images that do not meet SNAG’s standards or which are irrelevant to your work, your Maker page may be removed until modifications are made to SNAG’s specifications.
By uploading your images to the members pages of the SNAG website you also hereby:
- Grant SNAG and web administration a non-exclusive license to access your images through the membership gallery, and for us to use, reproduce, and distribute your images to aid SNAG in its future marketing efforts
- Represent and warrant that you have all rights to grant such licenses to SNAG without infringement or violation of any third-party rights, including without limitation, any privacy rights, publicity rights, copyrights, contract rights, or any other intellectual property or proprietary rights.
- Understand that the grant of the foregoing license does not affect your ownership or other license rights of your images, including the right to grant additional licenses to your images, unless otherwise agreed in writing.
- File Format: Accepted image formats include jpg and png
- File Resolution: Images should be 72dpi in RGB color mode
- File size: 1 MB (max)
- If your image is larger than 768px wide, it will be proportionally sized down for the website
- Images can be any proportion or ratio you would like
Rules to Follow
- Artwork should be photographed on a solid neutral background (white, black or gray are most common). Avoid distracting background elements such as patterns or superfluous scenery.
- Images should be centered and in a square format.
- The object should comprise the majority of the image. This is true if for all documentation whether against a neutral background or on a model.
- The entire object should be in focus
- Camera flash would be avoided. Opt instead for large diffused light sources. This will minimize the harshness of shadows and hot spots on the artwork.
- Do not use text on the images.
- Images should be color corrected prior to upload.
- The user must own all rights and ownership of the image uploaded*
- Tag (see below) the work. This will help with future search capabilities and more importantly help with organization of the maker database.
In online computer systems terminology, a tag is a non-hierarchical keyword or term assigned to a piece of information (such as an Internet bookmark, digital image, or computer file). This kind of meta-data helps describe an item and allows it to be found again by browsing or searching. When uploading images the user will be required to tag their images. Tagging labels each image with a subject word. For example, if uploading an image of a ring, the user will have the ability to “tag” it as a “ring”. If the user uploads an image of a formed vessel he or she may “tag” it as “hollow-forming”. Users will have the ability to assign multiple tags to one image. Once uploaded, viewers will be able to search for images by subject word or tag.