SNAG is holding a Lifetime Achievement Award (LAA) Design Competition. The Award is the highest honor SNAG can bestow upon an individual. It is awarded to individuals who have made significant contributions to the field of contemporary metalsmithing throughout their career. The current award (pictured above) was designed by Cynthia Eid.
SELECTION CRITERIA FOR 2022 AWARD DESIGN COMPETITION
- Must be a SNAG member.
- One design entry per applicant will be accepted.
- Deadline for entry has been extended through November 22, 2021.
- Submission will be accepted via e-mail only, e-mailed to: Lifetime Achievement Award Committee Chair: boris@BorisBally.com
- Subject line must read, “LAA Design Entry: Last Name, First Name.”
- Submissions must be formatted as a PDF.
- In addition to the design, please include your contact info, 2-page resume, a short (500 words or less) paragraph explaining the design, dimensions, materials, techniques.
- There is no entry fee.
- Consists of the LAA Committee and former Award Designer Cynthia Eid
- Jury reserves the right to not pick a design
- Jury decisions are final. Members of the jury may not enter the competition.
The Winning Award Design:
- May be a vessel, jewelry or object.
- Conveys mastery in the medium of metal, precious or common.
- Has impact and make a bold, contemporary statement befitting SNAG’s highest honor
- Should be easily cleaned and maintained.
- Alternative materials may be used (acrylic, paint, wood, stone, ceramic, glass, etc.)
- Size may not exceed: 8” tall x 8” wide x 6” deep
- Weight may not exceed: 5 pounds
- Budget for production may not exceed $300 for materials (reimbursed by SNAG).
- Will be promoted in Metalsmith magazine, on the SNAG website, in social media posts and Riveting News.
Winning Entrant must agree to:
- Produce the Award under budget and on time, a reasonable deadline will be determined by the Board.
- Produce identical design for a minimum of 3 consecutive years (maximum 10 years), the first being shipped to be received by the SNAG office by January 15th, 2022.
- Be available, if invited by the Board, to present the award at the annual conference. If asked to present in person, will receive a full conference fee waiver.
- Allow SNAG to photograph the LAA piece and provide SNAG permission to publicize the design and the Award Designer’s name wherever and however it sees fit.