Jean Shaffer is a native Washingtonian jewelry artist, metalsmith and enamelist. She took her first metal fabrication class in 2002 and was hooked. In 2011, she radically changed direction to become a jewelry artist and metalsmith after a long career in program and project management. She was driven by the need to create with her hands and transform her conceptual vision into real-world objects.
Jean earned a Certificate in Jewelry Design from North Seattle College in 2014. She has also attended many conferences, symposia and workshops to further her metalsmithing skills.
In 2012, Jean’s work was chosen for Crafthaus’ Behind the Brooch online exhibition and a subsequent book, Behind the Brooch: A Closer Look at Backs, Catches and Pin Stems. In 2014, Jean was selected to exhibit her work at the Museum of Glass during Tacoma’s community-wide Metal-Urge arts celebration. Other juried exhibitions included Shades of Metal at the Minneapolis Nokomis Gallery (2016), Varia at the KOBO Gallery in Seattle (2016), Memento at the RHINO Gallery in New Orleans (2017), Contained at the KOBO Gallery (2017), and Love at Alchemy 925 Gallery in Belmont, Massachusetts (2018).
- Certificate in Jewelry Design, North Seattle College, 2014. Focus on jewelry and metalwork design, fabrication, casting, and production.Jewelry Fabrication, Casting, Enameling,
- Continuing Education Classes, North Seattle College, Seattle, 2002-11.
- Workshops: Janet Alexander, Harlan W. Butt, Andy Cooperman, Megan Corwin, Aran Galligan, Anne Havel, Keith Lewis, Micki Lippe, Amy Roper Lyons, Helen Shirk, Jennifer Stenhouse.Master of Arts,
- Bachelor of Arts, University of Washington, Geography.
- Seattle Metals Guild/ Pratt Fine Arts Center Partners Grant: Jewelry & Metal Arts, 2017-2018.
- 28th League for Innovation Student Art Competition Award, Seattle District Colleges, 2014.
- Love Exhibition, Alchemy 9.2.5 Gallery, Belmont, Massachusetts, juried, February-March 2018.
- Holiday Art Show, Schack Art Center, Everett, Washington, juried, November-December 2017.
- Contained Exhibition, KOBO Gallery, Seattle, juried, October 2017.
- Halstead Design Challenge: Memento Exhibition, RHINO Gallery, New Orleans, juried, May-June 2017.
- Art of the Earring Exhibition, WaterWorks Gallery, Friday Harbor, Washington, juried, December 2016.
- Varia Exhibition, KOBO Gallery, Seattle, juried, October 2016.
- Shades of Metal Exhibition, Chicago Avenue Fire Arts Center Nokomis Gallery, Minneapolis, juried, September-November 2016.
- Seattle Metals Guild Display of Pins, Bellevue Art Museum Store, juried, April-May 2015.
- Tacoma Metal-Urge Exhibition, Museum of Glass, juried, October-November 2014.
- Behind the Brooch Online Exhibition, Crafthaus, juried, October 2012.
- Biennial Exhibitions, Seattle Metals Guild, Washington State Convention Center, 2011, 2013 and 2015.
- Solo Exhibition, solicited for the President’s Office, North Seattle College, February-April 2012.
- Student Art Shows, juried, North Seattle College, 2003-06, 2010-14.
- 28th League for Innovation Student Art Competition Book, juried, Certificate of Merit, 2014.
- Behind the Brooch: A Closer Look at Backs, Catches and Pin Stems, Schiffer Books, May 2014.
- Licton Springs Review, juried, North Seattle College, 2012, 2013, 2014.
- Jewelry Artist/Lapidary Journal, August 2009.
- Seattle Metals Guild
- Society of North American Goldsmiths
- The Enamelist Society
- North Seattle Lapidary and Mineral Club
- Museum of Glass, Tacoma WA
- Schack Art Center Gallery Store, Everett WA
- Etsy Shop: JeanShafferArt
- Amazon Handmade Shop: JSArt
Where to Buy
Work is not available for sale through the SNAG website. Please contact the artist directly to inquire about making a purchase.